Short-circuit could have sparked Worli blaze

MUMBAI: Fire broke out in a duplex penthouse at Worli's plush Beau-Monde Towers in a while after 2pm on Wednesday, and raged for over four hours, gutting the condo. There was no person within the flat apart from the house owners’ domestic help, who escaped unhurt. The flat’s house owners, business couple Harish and Roopa Fabiani, are NRIs who are living in Spain.


READ ALSO: Bravehearts climb 33 floors to douse flames

READ ALSO: Feet on floor, residents gaze up anxiously for hour

READ ALSO: Safety systems in place, yet highrise residents unsure of preparedness

READ ALSO: Building podium prevents deploying of 90-m tall ladder

Though the fireplace didn’t result in any casualties (apart from for 2 firefighters sustaining minor accidents), it once again highlighted the town’s loss of preparedness in relation to highrise blazes: Almost all the firefighting operations were conducted the use of the building’s personal firefighting gadget, while the fireplace brigade’s much-touted 90-metre hydraulic platform ladder, despite the fact that brought to the site, may just now not be pressed into carrier because it confronted issues of get right of entry to.

A fire brigade supply mentioned that prima facie, a brief circuit may just now not be ruled out as the reason for the blaze, despite the fact that a probe has been ordered to officially verify the reasons.

The fireplace brigade were given a decision from the building close to ten minutes previous 2pm. Its personnel reached the site in a few minutes and shot straight for the penthouse, which is in Tower B (in all, BeauMonde has 3 towers). Shortly after, 95-odd residents emerged out of the tower and accrued around the principle gate of the premises. A fire officer mentioned a number of residents from the opposite two towers too reached the ground.



Bollywood actor Deepika Padukone, who owns a flat at BeauMonde Towers, tweeted around 5pm, assuring enthusiasts of her protection. “I'm protected. Thank you everybody. Let us pray for our firefighters who're at site risking their lives...” read the tweet.

Firefighters confronted an uphill activity struggling with the blaze. Besides intense warmth and smoke, they needed to deal with robust winds on the top they were wearing out their operations. Every time the fireplace looked as if it would have been put out, it revived with renewed vigour. It was only about five.30pm, nearly 3 and a half hours after the blaze started, that the fireplace brigade may just roughly deliver the blaze underneath keep an eye on. It took them about an hour extra to start cooling operations.

The tower’s energy supply has been disconnected. An officer mentioned it will be restored after an in depth exam. He mentioned the building’s firefighting gadget was in just right situation and that is what was basically used to keep an eye on the fireplace. More than 2 lakh litres of water was used up, a few of it coming from the fireplace brigade’s water tankers.


Chief fireplace officer P S Rahangdale mentioned, “The interior firefighting gadget helped drastically to comprise the fireplace. All highrises will have to maintain their firefighting equipment in a just right situation.”


A resident mentioned, “As soon as we came to know of the fireplace, we switched off the electric and gas mains.”


Local MLA Sada Sarvankar, who was on the spot, blamed the BMC’s building proposal department for sanctioning highrises despite the fact that the town’s layout and in addition the fireplace brigade’s limitations makes tower blazes difficult to struggle. He mentioned he would place a calling attention motion sooner than the state meeting right through the monsoon consultation, demanding that no permission will have to be given for a highrise except there may be evidence of fireplace protection and assurance from the fireplace brigade that they are able to battle blazes with their own equipment.


The police too were on the site and maintained a bandobast. “We will conduct an in depth panchnama," mentioned an officer. The building’s safety personnel might be seen managing crowds and barring folks from entering no-go zones of operations.
Short-circuit could have sparked Worli blaze Short-circuit could have sparked Worli blaze Reviewed by kailash soni on June 14, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.