Syrian army hails full recapture of Ghouta rebel enclave

DAMASCUS (SYRIA): The Syrian army has declared that all anti-regime forces have left Eastern Ghouta, after a blistering two month offensive on the rebellion enclave on the outskirts of the capital.
The announcement, which represents a key strategic victory for President Bashar al-Assad, came just hours after US-led strikes pounded Syrian government targets in keeping with a suspected chemical assault on the enclave's main the town of Douma.

"All terrorists have left Douma, the last of their holdouts in Eastern Ghouta," state news company SANA quoted a military spokesman as pronouncing Saturday, using the regime's same old time period for rebels.

"Areas of Eastern Ghouta in rural Damascus have been fully cleansed of terrorism," a military spokesman additionally said in a statement delivered on state television.

At the beginning of the year Eastern Ghouta used to be a sprawling semi-rural house just east of Damascus, house to almost 400,000 inhabitants, which had already persisted several years underneath a central authority siege that slashed get right of entry to to meals, drugs and different goods.

The Syrian government and allied forces launched a large attack on February 18 to retake the enclave, which have been out of regime control since 2012.

The intense bombardment killed some 1,700 civilians in keeping with the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitor, and pulverised the area, lowering many neighbourhoods to rubble.

Damascus has been accused of carrying out an April 7 chemical weapons assault on Douma, the general a part of the enclave the place rebels had been balking at a Russian-brokered deal to evacuate them to northern Syria.

The United States, France and Britain answered Saturday with pre-dawn strikes on alleged regime chemical weapons sites.

The allies have since signalled their get to the bottom of to go back to diplomacy, launching a new bid at the United Nations to analyze chemical weapons assaults in the country.

A workforce of professionals from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is in Damascus and expected to analyze the website online of the suspected chemical assault.

Assad had made the reconquest of Eastern Ghouta a strategic goal.

The Islamist crew Jaish al-Islam rebellion crew, which used to be in control of Douma, has said it most effective agreed to depart as a result of the Syrian government's purported use of poisonous chemical compounds on Douma, which medics said killed greater than 40 people.

The crew has slammed the Western strikes as insufficient, as Assad maintains his grip on the war-ravaged country.

"Punishing the instrument of the crime while keeping the criminal -- a farce," wrote Mohammad Alloush, a key member of Jaish al-Islam.

Syria and Russia have both denied using chemical weapons and said the claims had been fabrications used to justify Western army motion.

The two-month attack on Eastern Ghouta sparked a world outcry, with the head of the United Nations describing the conditions persisted by way of civilians there as "hell on Earth".

Few convoys of humanitarian aid had been allowed in whilst rights teams and aid organisations additionally condemned the targeting of scientific facilities around the besieged territory.

Dozens of civilians in government-controlled central Damascus had been additionally killed by way of rockets and mortar rounds fired from Eastern Ghouta by way of the rebellion teams that held it.

On Saturday Syria's inner security forces entered Douma, after the ultimate convoy of buses transporting participants of Jaish al-Islam and their family members left the town.

The Syrian army said a clean up operation used to be underneath method in the battered enclave.

"Engineering units are starting to clear the mines and explosives sewn by the terrorists in the town to allow the rest of the units to secure the liberated areas and prepare them for the return of civilians to their homes," the army spokesman said.

Thousands of civilians who fled the offensive have already returned to areas prior to now retaken by way of the army and allied forces.


A large number of Eastern Ghouta residents had been bussed to the northern province of Idlib, which is largely outdoor government control and hosts several jihadist and different rebellion teams.


The civil conflict began in 2011 with the brutal repression of anti-government protests.


Assad has managed to hang on to energy, retaking swathes of territory with the assistance of ally Russia.


Syrian army hails full recapture of Ghouta rebel enclave Syrian army hails full recapture of Ghouta rebel enclave Reviewed by kailash soni on April 15, 2018 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.